Wednesday, May 20, 2009

This is George Winston!


Is it just me or does this clip look like it could be a scene from an unmade David Cronenberg film?

I've been inadvertently listening to George Winston for, oh, 25 years or so. And I love it. I know a lot of people my age think he's cheesy but I don't. I think this might be what death sounds like - in a good way. Also, I like that many of my friend's 40 year old single mothers got really into George Winston in the '80's when his hit record December came out. I'm not sure what this means but I like it. There's something desperate yet comforting in his music, perfect for the middle-aged divorcee set - not to mention the fact that he kind of looks like a skeleton.

Also, how many years before Will Oldham approaches George Winston for a project? I'm guessing somewhere in the 5-10 year range. It's closer than you think. Also, did you know that John Fahey was the first to record George Winston? Fahey recorded Winston's Ballads and Blues 1972 for his Takoma records. True story.

No comments: